Recently Added Readings
- EMDR Research News. Sonoma Psychotherapy Training Institute.
International Research Findings
EMDR is internationally endorsed as a therapy for traumas by government and professional organizations.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2004). Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with acute stress disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder. Arlington, VA: Author. (Practice Guidelines)
- Bleich, A., Kotler, M., Kutz, I., & Shalev, A. (2002). Guidelines for the assessment and professional intervention with terror victims in the hospital and in the community. Jerusalem, Israel: National Council for Mental Health.
- Chambless, D.L., et al. (1998). Update of empirically validated therapies, II. The Clinical Psychologist, 51, 3-16. (Australia)
- de Voogd, L. D., Kanen, J. W., Neville, D. A., Roelofs, K., FernÃ¡ndez, G., & Hermans, E. J. (2018). Eye-movement intervention enhances extinction via amygdala deactivation. Journal of Neuroscience, 38(40), 8692-8706. doi: https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0703-18.2018
- Foa, E.B., Keane, T.M., & Friedman, M.J. (2000). Effective treatments for PTSD: Practice Guidelines of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies. New York: Guilford Press.
- Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale (INSERM). (2004). Psychotherapy: An evaluation of three approaches. Paris, France: French National Institute of Health and Medical Research.
- Northern Ireland Department of Health. (2003). The management of post traumatic stress disorder in adults. Belfast, Ireland: Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety Clinical Resource Efficiency Support Team (CREST).
- Quality Institute Heath Care CBO/Trimbos Intitute. (2003). Multidisciplinary guideline anxiety disorders. Utrecht, Netherlands: Author. (Dutch National Steering Committee on Mental Health Care)
- Sjöblom, P.O., Andréewitch, S. Bejerot, S., Mörtberg, E., Brinck, U., Ruck, C., & Körlin, D. (2003). Regional treatment recommendation for anxiety disorders. Stockholm, Sweden: Stockholm City Council, Medical Program Committee.
- United Kingdom Department of Health. (2001). Treatment choice in psychological therapies and counselling evidence based clinical practice guideline. London, England: Department of Health.
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs & Department of Defense. (2004). VA/DoD clinical practice guideline for the management of post-traumatic stress. Washington, DC: Department of Veterans Affairs & Department of Defense.
- van der Kolk, B.A., Spinazzola, J., Blaustein, M.E., Hopper, J.W., Hopper, E.K., Korn, D.L., & Simpson, W.B. (2007). A randomized clinical trial of Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), fluoxetine, and pill placebo in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder: Treatment effects and long-term maintenance. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 68, 37-46.
For more research resources on EMDR, see www.emdrhap.org/researchandresources.htm.
- Buydens, S. L., Wilensky, M., Hensley, B. J. (2014). Effects of the EMDR protocol for recent traumatic events on acute stress disorder: A case series. Journal of EMDR Practice and Research, 8(1), 2-12.
- Chemtob, C.M., Tolin, D.F., van der Kolk, B.A., & Pitman, R.K. (2000). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. In E.B. Foa, T.M. Keane, & M.J. Friedman (Eds.), Effective treatments for PTSD: Practice guidelines from the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies (pp. 139-155, 333-335). New York: Guilford Press.
- Greenwald, R. (1999). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) in child and adolescent psychotherapy. Northvale, New Jersey: Jason Aronson Press.
- Levin, P., Lazrove, S., & van der Kolk, B.A. (1999). What psychological testing and neuroimaging tell us about the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) by Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 13, 159-172.
- Lovett, J. (1999). Small wonders: Healing childhood trauma with EMDR. New York: The Free Press.
- Marcus, S., Marquis, P., & Sakai, C. (1997). Controlled study of treatment of PTSD using EMDR in an HMO setting. Psychotherapy, 34, 307-315.
- Maxfield, L., & Hyer, L.A. (2002). The relationship between efficacy and methodology in studies investigating EMDR treatment of PTSD. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 58, 23-41.
- Parnell, L. (1999). EMDR in the treatment of adults abused as children. New York: Norton.
- Perkins, B., & Rouanzoin, C. (2002). A critical evaluation of current view regarding Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Clarifying points of confusion. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 58, 77-97.
- Rothbaum, B.O. (1997). A controlled study ofEye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing for posttraumatic stress disordered sexual assault victims. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic, 61, 317-334.
- Shapiro, F. (2002). EMDR as an integrative psychotherapy approach: Experts of diverse orientations explore the paradigm prism. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Press.
- Shapiro, F. (2001). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic principles, protocols and procedures (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.
- Silver, S., & Rogers, S. (2001). Light in the heart of darkness: EMDR and the treatment of war and terrorism survivors. New York: Norton.
- Tinker, R.H., & Wilson, S.A. (1999). Through the eyes of a child: EMDR with children. New York: Norton.
- Wilensky, M. (2007). Eye Movement and Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) as treatment for phantom limb pain. Semantic Scholar (Corpus ID: 10655846).
- Wilson, S.A., Becker, L.A., & Tinker, R.H. (1995). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) treatment for psychologically traumatized individuals. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 63, 928-937.
- Wilson, S.A., Becker, L.A., & Tinker, R.H. (1997). Fifteen-month follow-up of Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) treatment for ptsd and psychological trauma. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 65, 1047-1056.
- Baek, J., Lee, S., Cho, T., Kim, S. W., Kim, M., Yoon, Y., . . . Shin, H. S. (2019). Neural circuits underlying a psychotherapeutic regimen for fear disorders. Nature, 566, 339-343. doi:10.1038/s41586-019-0931-ye
EMDR with Children
- see Media Links page