1. Why are the eligibility requirements so specific?
The training offered has been reviewed and approved by the International EMDR International Association (EMDRIA). In order to meet the criteria of EMDRIA, we adhere to their eligibility criteria for participants. Please refer to EMDRIA’s eligibility requirements for basic EMDR training, our Prerequisites page, and EMDR Canada’s website for further information as well.
2. I’m a student in a graduate program in a mental health field, but I’m just now doing my courses/I’m not in practicum/internship yet. Can I take the training?
The eligibility criteria specify that students be finished their coursework and be in practicum/internship at the time of the training. Before you start the training, you are required to submit a memorandum of understanding between you and your supervisor supporting your use of EMDR in your practicum/internship. For further information, please contact the registrar. Also, see Question 6 regarding seeing clients while taking the training.
3. I have a graduate degree, but it’s not in a mental health field (or I have a degree in a mental health field, but it’s not a graduate degree). Can I take the training?
No. See Prerequisites page.
4. I can’t attend all the days/hours of the training weekends. Is that okay?
No. You are required to complete all the components of the training in order to receive your Certificate of Completion. Please ensure you can attend all the dates/times of the trainings before submitting your registration request.
5. I am unable to attend one of the training weekends in my location. Can I attend the equivalent weekend in another location?
No. Locations are unable to accept partial registrations. You will need to transfer to a subsequent training in your location.
6. I don’t have any clients currently. Should I take the training?
No. You must have clients with whom you can utilize EMDR in order to complete the consultation requirement of the training.
7. I don’t live in Vancouver so I can’t attend the consultation meetings (or I work at the time the consultation meetings). How will I complete the consultation hours?
An online forum is available for all participants in the training. Participants post cases and provide input through this online format. EMDRIA Approved Consultants oversee and contribute to the forum. Substantive posts are given a time equivalency so that participants can complete their hours using this format.
8. I have a supervisor or colleague who is trained in EMDR. Can I do the consultation hours with them instead of attending the consultation meetings or using the online forum?
No. In order to meet the criteria for the basic training, consultation must be done with an EMDRIA Approved Consultant.
9. Is there a deadline for completing the EMDR trainings?
Yes. As of January 1, 2017, participants must complete both training weekends and 10 hours of consultation within 24 months of the Session 1 training start-date.
10. Once I’m finished the Basic Training I’ll be a Certified EMDR Therapist—Is this correct?
No. The designation Certified EMDR Therapist refers to a therapist who has completed the basic training, as well as additional consultation hours and continuing education in EMDR. For further details of this designation, see www.emdria.org or www.emdrcanada.org. You will receive a Certificate of Completion when you finish all the components of the basic training (2 training weekends and 10 consultation hours completed by attendance at consultation meetings or through posting to the online forum). In your promotional material you can state, for example, that you have completed the Basic Training in EMDR.
11. May I pay for the training using my credit card?
For the Vancouver trainings, we cannot take credit cards directly—however—you can pay via PayPal, which you can setup to use your credit card. Send an email to the registrar requesting this option and instructions will be forwarded to you.
12. Is there a payment plan?
Yes. Send an email to the registrar to arrange this.